Arbroath goalkeeper's kick goes out for a corner in strong winds during abandoned match against Stranraer
(Image: Twitter/BBC Sport Scotland)

VIDEO: Arbroath goalkeeper’s kick goes out for a corner in strong winds

Match abandoned after twelve minutes.


Watch as the Arbroath goalkeeper concedes a corner from his own goal kick due to the strong winds.

The match against Stranraer lasted 12 minutes before being abandoned. pic.twitter.com/ghjkvb5pji

— BBC Sport Scotland (@BBCSportScot) February 10, 2019

Arbroath goalkeeper Darren Jamieson’s kick was blown backwards and out for a corner during an abandoned Scottish League One match against Stranraer.

Strong winds wreaked havoc on Saturday’s fixture at Gayfield Park, with referee Craig Napier having to bring the action to a halt after just twelve minutes.

Match Abandoned as @ArbroathFC and @StranraerFC tried there best in a nice sunny but gale force winds almost, here is a Goal Kick from @deejay150291 that would usually fly 60-70 yards on a normal day, that helped the referee make his decision after 13 minutes pic.twitter.com/kwsP0StTfT

— 36nilTV (Official) (@36nilTV) February 9, 2019

The game has been rescheduled for tonight, with Dick Campbell’s Arbroath side looking to strengthen their position at the top of the table.

Of all the stadiums in Europe, Gayfield is the one that’s closest to the sea – in its case, it’s just yards away from the North Sea.

ABANDONED – The referee has abandoned the game after 12 minutes. More to follow.

— Arbroath FC (@ArbroathFC) February 9, 2019

This leaves it particularly exposed to adverse weather conditions during the winter months, the likes of which can be seen clearly in these clips.

In a statement, Arbroath said:

We apologise to both sets of supporters who travelled to the game today.

The game was deemed playable at 1pm and 2pm but succumbed to the wind.

The game will now be replayed this Tuesday with a 7.45pm kick off.

Speaking nonsense

— Arbroath FC (@ArbroathFC) February 9, 2019