Trust Liverpool to sign Benteke for £32.5m when they could just as easily buy a luxury car dealer or a 467,323 sq ft distribution warehouse.
Just think of all the fun they could have in there – they could build a theme park, a new stadium, perhaps even both in tandem.
But no, it looks as if they’re all set to sign the Aston Villa and Belgium centre-forward instead, even though they could be getting so much more for their money.
Here are ten things that would cost the same as the £32.5m that Liverpool are prepared to splash out on Christian Benteke…
1. 26 pubs
2. Flood protection for Leeds city centre
3. Luxury car dealer HR Owen
4. A 9,000 sq ft, nine-bedroom penthouse overlooking St James’s Park including art by Warhol and Damien Hirst and a separate three-bed staff flat
5. Kate’s Cakes, which supplies cakes and desserts to Marks and Spencer, Pret A Manger and Tesco cafés
6. A high-quality student accommodation in York with 648 student rooms, common areas, a gymnasium and quiet study space
7. A 467,323 sq ft distribution warehouse set on a 25-acre site in Northamptonshire
8. A 433,600 sq ft office complex on the edge of Salford Quays
9. The Minories Estate in Aldgate, London
10. Sustainable transport to work for the Greater Manchester area
Do you know of anything else that would cost the same as the £32.5m that Liverpool are set to pay for Christian Benteke? Do let us know…