Lovely Chinese vase… Could have had one (Img: Vmestomenya)
Frustrating Russian midfielder Diniyar Bilyaletdinov is set to leave
Everton for Spartak Moscow, bringing an end to a two-and-a-half year spell at Goodison Park after signing from Lokomotiv Moscow for £9m in August 2009. As such, Football Burp got wondering: what else can nine million of Her Majesty’s pounds get you these days? And so, we bring you twenty recent examples of Things That Cost the Same as Diniyar Bilyaletdinov Cost Everton…(click on the Things in question to read a bit more about them)…
1. A purpose-built homeless shelter in Warwickshire.
2. The launch of a low-cost African airline which is developing in conjunction with Sir Stelios (yes, he is indeed a Sir) of easyJet fame.
3. A new Salvation Army residential centre in Coventry capable of accommodating up to eighty residents.
4. The losses made by South Yorkshire’s super-fast broadband scheme over the last year.
5. A brand new, state-of-the-art leisure centre in Surrey.
6. Policing of Manchester and Salford for last summer’s riots.
7. Increasing the size of Lancaster city’s sewer network in order to protect the river from sewer spillages. Euch.
8. Carlos Tevez’s total fines since his self-imposed exile at Manchester City.
9. The largest land purchase in the south-east this year.
10. The total of proposed cuts to local services by Telford & Wrekin Council.
Policing the Manchester riots… Could have had a Russian international midfielder instead (Img: Stuart Grout)
11. 3MG freight park’s failure to create enough employment.
12. Grant funding for the next three years pledged by the Welsh Government for voluntary organisation, including those working in the Learning Disabilities and Autism, Physical and Sensory Disabilities, Carers and Older People’s sectors.
13. A “warehouse system blunder” at a Cheltenham-based fashion label.
14. A City of London Police unit aimed at tackling the £2bn of insurance fraud that takes place each year.
15. A design and build contract for a 40,000 sq ft, three-floor on-campus library facility at East London University.
16. Hicklin Slade & Partners, the digital and direct marketing group that trades under the banner of Crayon.
17. The installation of Mitsubishi Ecodan air source heat pumps in over eight hundred homes Oxfordshire homes.
18. Two museum redevelopments and a vintage amusement park in Margate.
19. The cuts to education funding faced by Wirral Borough Council.
20. An Imperial Chinese vase thought to have been kept at the royal palace in Beijing’s Forbidden City.
Do you know of anything else that cost the same as Diniyar Bilyaletdinov cost Everton? Have your say in the comments section below…